Mission and Purpose
Berkeley HEROES name is an acronym for: Higher Education Reading Organization for Employees and Sidekicks, created in January 2015 by employees of UC Berkeley. The mission of Berkeley HEROES is to promote literacy, storytelling, and the value of pop culture/modern mythology through the medium of graphic and comic arts.
- Provide a networking opportunity for UC Berkeley employees (and personal affiliates of UC Berkeley employees) who share an interest in the medium of comic books and graphic novels.
- Provide a space for open discussion about monthly graphic novel selections and related pop culture.
- Promote awareness and appreciation of graphic arts and American pop culture through community service and events to the larger UC Berkeley campus and local community.
- Space will be reserved each third Wednesday of the month, 6:30pm to 8:00pm at Stand-Up Comics (10020 San Pablo Avenue) in El Cerrito, CA. Additional meetings during the lunch hour on central campus will be announced.
- Stand-Up Comics will provide a 25% discount for any monthly selection ordered for Berkeley HEROES.
- Friday, June 2, 2017, PAGE TO SCREEN/WOMEN'S NARRATIVES: WONDER WOMAN Volume 2: Year One (Greg Rucka, Nicola Scott, DC) AND screening of the DC Extended Universe Film, Wonder Woman featuring Gal Gadot and Cal alumus Chris Pine! Movie will be screened between 6-7pm at the Rialto Theater in El Cerrito followed by a book discussion at Stand Up Comics. Please contact Rod Santos (email@example.com) for more information.
- Thursday, June 15, 2017, 12pm @ Sproul 127 - Lunch time discussion on WONDER WOMAN VOLUME 2: YEAR ONE & Wonder Woman feature film
- Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 6:30pm @ Stand Up Comics, LGBTQ PRIDE MONTH: Artifice (Alex Woolfson & Winona Nelson, AMW) - featuring special guest Alex Woolfson who will join us for the discussion and a book signing! Books can be purchased at: http://store.yaoi911.com/books/
- Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 6:30pm @ Stand Up Comics, CLASSICS MONTH: Complete Maus (Art Spiegelman)