Frequently Asked Questions
For Staff Organization Leaders
- How do we become a recognized staff organization?
- Why register as a recognized staff organization?
- How do I update information about my organization on this site?
- How can I post my event to the campus calendar?
- How do I propose an update to other information on this site?
- How can I review past Council of Staff Organization meeting notes and files?
University of California, Berkeley, staff organizations exist for the purpose of promoting specific interests, providing an ongoing identification with the University, creating opportunities for staff to meet one another on social, cultural, and intellectual levels, and serving as a means of communication between the individual staff member and the University community. Campus organizations may not have religious, political, commercial, or other outside agency interests as their focus.
Staff Organizations are generally based on supporting the interests of a particular identity group on campus. This can range from all staff (i.e. Berkeley Staff Assembly or the Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee) to particular identities (i.e. Berkeley Veterans, Black Staff and Faculty Organization, Cal Women's Network, etc.). In contrast, Communities of Practice are based on a particular professional interest or skill, such as facilitation, event planning, advising, etc. Both types offer networking, mentoring, leadership, and professional development opportunities.
The StaffOrg website serves as a home base for staff organizations to showcase their organizations, invite membership within the Cal community, and match staff with others who share their interests. On these pages you'll find:
- Individual staff organization web pages, listing their charters, purpose and officers (where applicable)
- Listings of news and events from the different staff organizations
- Campus policy links regarding staff organizations (See also the Campus Policies/Procedures site)
- Information on how to register as a staff organization.
To be recognized and sponsored as a staff organization, please send an email to the StaffOrgs Council with "Register a New StaffOrg" in the subject line. Someone will get back to you within a few days with a short consultation in order to initiate your request.
Staff Organization leaders can request content updates by emailing the StaffOrgs Council.
If your organization has volunteers with website-updating skills or experience with Drupal, staff organization leaders for a group can delegate website content update authority to one of their members, who will then get direct access to the drupal content management system:
- Email the StaffOrgs Council to request access to content updates
- If approved, visit http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/cas and log in with your CalNet ID and passphrase
- The StaffOrgs web team will verify the user's account and grant permission to access
- If approved, you will receive an email confirming your access to create updates
- Visit the UC Berkeley Events calendar
- Click "Submit or Edit an Event" and log in with your CalNet ID
- Provide the details of your event, specifying "UC Berkeley Staff Organizations" as the primary calendar, or a recommended calendar.
- The StaffOrgs Council members will review your event, and accept it for that calendar.
- If accepted, your event will appear on the UC Berkeley Staff Organizations Events calendar and in their RSS feeds.
- You can also copy and share bCal links to your events by clicking "Add to my Google calendar (bCal)" from any event on the calendar.
Updates to non-organizational pages, like FAQ and Resources, are made with the approval of a representative from the Office of Equity and Inclusion, after receiving majority assent at a Council of Staff Organizations (CSO) meeting.