Mission and Purpose
The practice of group facilitation encourages creative and fruitful collaboration by promoting four core values of participatory groups:
- Full Participation: diversity of opinions is acknowledged and encouraged
- Mutual Understanding: all group members understand and respect each other’s points of view
- Inclusive Solutions: everyone’s perspective and needs are taken into consideration when forming solutions
- Full Responsibility: each individual has ownership for creating and developing sustainable agreements or outcomes
Source: Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision Making by Sam Kaner
The Berkeley Facilitators Network is devoted to cultivating the art and practice of facilitation on campus by providing a working group where colleagues can make connections, find support, receive training and share best practices on the topic of facilitation.
- To create a participatory working group for individuals interested in practicing skills and sharing best practices in the area of facilitation
- To positively impact the UC community by promoting participatory decision making and providing a directory of trained individuals who are willing to serve as facilitators for groups, teams and meetings
We have a robust resource library on Google Drive (available to UC Berkeley staff only). You can find materials from our previous workshops as well as additional resources for teambuilding, facilitating, and leadership skills.
BFN is open to any UC Berkeley staff member with an interest in facilitation. Contact our Member Engagement Lead or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our listserv, events calendar, or both.
- Managing room reservations and arranging for AV equipment.
- Sending evaluation surveys to attendees and creating reports based on the results.
- Following up with presenters as needed.
- Bringing new ideas for engaging events!
- Your facilitation experience.
- The strengths you lend and skills you hope to develop.
Lasana Hotep, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging