Mission and Purpose
The Staff Alliance for Disability Access (SADA) is a collaborative and supportive campus staff organization that addresses the needs of UC Berkeley staff members with disabilities. "Disabilities" may refer to any combination of physical, psychological, learning, and medical disabilities.
SADA's overall goals include:
- Promoting a safe, accepting, and welcoming environment on campus for staff with disabilities.
- Advocating for the recruitment, hiring, retention, and promotion of staff members with disabilities.
- Supporting current disabled staff members as they endeavor to pursue their personal well-being and professional progress on campus
- Supporting current staff members who wish to pursue on-the-job accommodations, and assisting them in developing strategies essential to their personal wellbeing and professional progress on campus.
- Recognizing the key roles of our allies in other campus staff organizations, and acting with them in the service of greater campus equity, inclusion, and diversity.
The 2021 - 22 SADA project goals include:
- Facilitate two "UC Berkeley Employment Open House for Job Seekers with Disabilities" events where the community of the disabled at large can come and apply for jobs here on campus.
- Facilitate one "University of California Convention for Disabled Access (UCCDA)" event where UC System-wide Representatives can meet and discuss the issues concerning the UC campuses Community of the Disabled.
- Administrating the accommodation toolkit for current staff.
- Facilitate two UC Berkeley Campus presentations for students, faculty, and staff.
- A marketing drive with multiple staff events for participation.
View our Berkeley events calendar here to see our schedule of meetings and special events.
During Fall 2021, ADA meets every three 3 weeks on Wednesday from 12-1 pm, via Zoom, on the following dates.
- September 1
- September 22
- October 13
- November 3
- November 24
- December 15
Please feel free to join us by clicking here for the Zoom link.
For Phone Only dial in, please call +1 (669) 219-2599, meeting ID# 9653 3443 512# US (San Jose)
SADA Campus Sponsor
Our campus sponsor is Lasana Hotep, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
SADA Community Resources
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s Accommodation Best Practices
This document clarifies the rights and responsibilities of employers and individuals with disabilities regarding reasonable accommodations.
Staff Ombuds Office
The Staff Ombuds Office is an independent department that provides strictly confidential, impartial and informal conflict resolution and problem-solving services for all Staff, Non-Senate Academics, and Faculty who perform management functions. See the Services page for more information, or download a flyer. To schedule an appointment, call (510) 642-7823.
For questions about workplace accommodations or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation, visit the Job Accommodation Network website.
Faculty/Staff Disability Management
For consultative services to faculty and staff with respect to disability issues impacting work, visit the Faculty/Staff Disability Management website.
Be Well at Work
Technology is always around us. From smart devices to social media platforms, most of us are constantly digitally connected. While our ever-changing technology definitely has its benefits, there are also risks. This semester, Be Well at Work can help you find a tech/life balance. You can learn about the potential risks of technology, healthy technology habits, and ways to reconnect with others and yourself. Learn more on the Balancing Technology webpage.
UC Berkeley Recreational Sports is proud to offer memberships for students, community members and faculty and staff that will grant you access to 13 of our facilities. Included in your membership are free classes and open fitness opportunities. They also offer a number of programs specifically designed for members with disabilities including goalball, CalSTAR yoga and the use of adaptive equipment. If you have a disability and are interested in joining as a community member, you may qualify for the CalSTAR membership at a huge discount.
Please feel free to reach out to UC Berkeley Inclusive Rec Coordinator, Torre Meeks with any additional questions:
- Phone: 510-643-3080
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org